Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sports Fans

So, I have been informed recently that to be a sports fan you must choose one team to follow. You must be loyal to that team regardless of the coach, players, etc. My question is this... why? Players and coaches change every year! You are never really rooting for the same team. Are fans not simply rooting for the name or logo? (Unless that changes too, of course) I realize that I am in the wrong in my thinking, as my questions to certain BYU fans have caused quite a defensive uproar. Not being able to explain this phenomena, these certain fans have indicated that it is "bandwagoning" to look at all teams and choose the best one of each season. They have also been unable to explain this strange mindless following. Some blame it on attendance of a school, or family members being employed by schools. Others come up with strange stories of childhood pencils. It all seems a little strange to me! (hehe)

4 comments:

Callie said...

WHAT?!?!?! You are loyal to one team, you want your team to succeed so even though the players/coaches/cheerleaders change, it's all for the best of the team. Your family might change i.e. divorce and such but do you cheer for a different family? NO...but feel free to think what you want, go be a U fan or whatever team you wish, I'm true blue BYU and true red 49ers and I'll never change. Thanks for making me think all the same though.

Heather said...

Obviously you are not a true sports fan.

Tiffy said...

Clearly, although you may have divorces and such.. your family is a couple different things:

1. More important than sports
2. You always have consistent people there.. ie.. only the divorcee that was not initially part of your family leaves, silly!
3. Your family, most of the time, loves you back.
4. You don't have to pay to see your family fight.

orangemily said...

You make an excellent point.
That's why I avoid sports altogether.